- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth, beer, onion, barley, garlic, oregano, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, pepper flakes, pepper, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in vegetables; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p49
Reviews for Cubed Beef and Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review