- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water. Add to slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCube Steaks with Gravy
"Excellent. Like the plate delicious."
"This recipe is amazing! I actually use this recipe to cook up all the venison steaks and back-straps my husband brings home from his hunting adventures. Even those who do not care for the taste of venison LOVE this recipe. Instead of using all the gravy mixes, I use cream of mushroom soup and add onion soup mix. A winner every time."
"Because I don't use bottled gravy, I saved the browning pan to make the gravy later. Instead of adding water to the crock-pot, I used beef broth instead. After the meat was tender, I removed it from the cooking juices. In the frying pan, I added flour to the pan with a little more oil (if needed) to make a roux. Then, I added the juices along with the onions and made a thickened gravy. Salt and pepper to taste. Return the meat to the gravy. YUMMY!"
"GREAT! I tried your recipe and the cube steaks were delicious! So simple to prepare, and leftovers re-heated in the microwave were really good too. This one is a keeper! Thank you."
"Wow!! Great way to make this meat tender. I could not find mushroom gravy or onion gravy. I used three packets of brown gravy, but bought fresh mushrooms, and cooked them on the stove, then added them when I added the gravy mix. One thing--I did season meat and the flour mixture with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some beef seasoning. I also diced up some red bell pepper and some celery that needed to be used up. We gobbled this up!!! Made a ton of extra gravy, so I froze the remaining gravy and will use for another meal."
"Made this tonight after not making cube steaks in years ..I won't make that mistake again Keeping this on hand for easy and delicious family magicBrilliant thanks for posting it!"
"Sounds delish! But I dont have a slow cooker. Can I make this in the oven? How long?"
"Best best best"