Cube Steak Beef Rouladen Recipe
It took me years to work up the nerve to try a recipe that called for meat to be wrapped around pickles and cooked. Once I did, though, it became a favorite. My husband and boys request this for Christmas dinner.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 beef cubed steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium dill pickle, cut lengthwise into eight pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 bacon strip, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Top each piece with four pickle pieces, a fourth on onion and a piece of bacon. Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, cook meat in butter on all sides until browned. Add the bay leaf, bouillon, rosemary, salt and remaining onion. Stir in 1-1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat and keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Remove toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 320 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1077mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Cube Steak Beef Rouladen
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC