- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 beef cubed steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium dill pickle, cut lengthwise into eight pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strip, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Top each piece with four pickle pieces, a fourth on onion and a piece of bacon. Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, cook meat in butter on all sides until browned. Add the bay leaf, bouillon, rosemary, salt and remaining onion. Stir in 1-1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Remove toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p140
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cube Steak Beef Rouladen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2010
"This was the first recipe in which beef actually melts in your mouth. Before this, anything I tried came out chewy and dry. Absolutely gorgeous recipe!"