Cube Steak Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 beef cubed steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium dill pickle, cut lengthwise into eight pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 bacon strip, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Top each piece with four pickle pieces, a fourth on onion and a piece of bacon. Roll up jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, cook meat in butter on all sides until browned. Add the bay leaf, bouillon, rosemary, salt and remaining onion. Stir in 1-1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into juices in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Remove toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cube Steak Beef Rouladen(1)
Sort By :
This was the first recipe in which beef actually melts in your mouth. Before this, anything I tried came out chewy and dry. Absolutely gorgeous recipe!