Cuban-Style Pork Sandwiches Recipe
Loaded with tangy flavor, this is a lighter version of a favorite restaurant-style sandwich. If you don’t have a panini maker, tuck the sandwiches under the broiler until the bread is browned and the cheese melted. —Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 7 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 whole dill pickles, sliced
- 1. Place onion wedges and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, 5 garlic cloves, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cumin, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; rub over pork. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and remaining garlic and lemon juice; spread over buns. Layer bun bottoms with pork, cheese, sliced onion and pickles; replace tops.
- 3. Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until buns are browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
1 sandwich equals 415 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 943 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC