- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 7 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 whole dill pickles, sliced
- Place onion wedges and broth in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, 5 garlic cloves, vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cumin, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; rub over pork. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and remaining garlic and lemon juice; spread over buns. Layer bun bottoms with pork, cheese, sliced onion and pickles; replace tops.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until buns are browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cuban-Style Pork Sandwiches
"Prepared for an after church lunch. Everyone like it and asked for the recipe. Only change was to shred the pork. Easily done with rubber gloves. The sauce is outstanding. Served with small dinner rolls."
"Nice change of pace! The sauce makes it!"
"Sooo good! Wonderful flavor!"