Cuban Pork Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. For relish, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring onion and water to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute; drain. Transfer to a bowl; add roasted peppers, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Discard garlic. (Relish can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- 2. In a small bowl, mash the minced garlic, cumin and salt. Rub over tenderloin; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; thinly slice pork.
- 3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Top four slices of bread with pork, desired amount of relish and two slices of cheese; top with remaining bread. Cook sandwiches for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups relish).
1 serving (1 each) equals 522 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1,116 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Reviews for Cuban Pork Sandwiches
"It's an OK sandwich but Slash the "Cuban" from the title of this sandwich, because there's nothing Cuban about it!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.