Cuban Pork Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1. For relish, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring onion and water to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute; drain. Transfer to a bowl; add roasted peppers, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Discard garlic. (Relish can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- 2. In a small bowl, mash the minced garlic, cumin and salt. Rub over tenderloin; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; thinly slice pork.
- 3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Top four slices of bread with pork, desired amount of relish and two slices of cheese; top with remaining bread. Cook sandwiches for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups relish).
1 each: 522 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1116mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Cuban Pork Sandwiches
"It's an OK sandwich but Slash the "Cuban" from the title of this sandwich, because there's nothing Cuban about it!"