Cuban Pork Sandwiches Recipe
Seasoned pork, red and green peppers and mozzarella cheese come together in this satisfying sandwich recipe sent in by Connie Zangla from Annadale, Minnesota. "To make it more substantial, sometimes I add bread crumbs and Italian seasoning to the meat and vegetables," says Connie.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- For relish, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring onion and water to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute; drain. Transfer to a bowl; add roasted peppers, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Discard garlic. (Relish can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- In a small bowl, mash the minced garlic, cumin and salt. Rub over tenderloin; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; thinly slice pork.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Top four slices of bread with pork, desired amount of relish and two slices of cheese; top with remaining bread. Cook sandwiches for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups relish).
Originally published as Cuban Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2007, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cuban Pork Sandwiches(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 1, 2011
It's an OK sandwich but Slash the "Cuban" from the title of this sandwich, because there's nothing Cuban about it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Pickles & Relishes Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >