Cuban Picadillo Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine or beef broth
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add to slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through.
- 3. Place raisins in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Stir the green pepper, olives, jalapeno and raisins into the slow cooker. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 331 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Cuban Picadillo
"I love Cuban food, and loved this!! I used some for filling empanadas, and kept some to freeze for later. Will definitely make this again!!"
"Very interesting combination of flavors. I used a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes. This recipe freezes well."