Cuban Ground Beef Hash Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, raisins, olives, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add peas; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef; calculated without rice) equals 262 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.