Cuban Black Beans Recipe
- 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add 6 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato puree, sherry, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Drain beans; discard bay leaf. Stir beans into tomato mixture. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Cuban Black Beans(8)
Sort By :
Never tasted anything like this! The sherry gives it a very unique flavor. I also add 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. ground red pepper & 1 tsp. salt. -Lesleigh Baden
This is a new favorite. I used canned black beans and added the bay leaf to the other ingredients and they cooked. I also added aprx. 1 cup cubed ham and served them over rice. Awesome!
This was excellent. I did add a ham hock and 2 cloves of garlic to the simmering beans and added a chopped jalepeno to the tomato mixture. Still needs a little more heat, but awesome tasting and quite filling.
Delicious! I had some canned black beans in my pantry and decided to make this to pair with pork chops and yellow rice and what a wonderful flavor! Even my husband, who doesn't care for black beans, loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Side Dishes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >