- 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add 6 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato puree, sherry, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Drain beans; discard bay leaf. Stir beans into tomato mixture. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Cuban Black Beans
"Awesome dish! I serve this with the Pork Roast Cubano recipe from this site and a side dish of rice."
"Never tasted anything like this! The sherry gives it a very unique flavor. I also add 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. ground red pepper & 1 tsp. salt. -Lesleigh Baden"
"This is a new favorite. I used canned black beans and added the bay leaf to the other ingredients and they cooked. I also added aprx. 1 cup cubed ham and served them over rice. Awesome!"
"This was excellent. I did add a ham hock and 2 cloves of garlic to the simmering beans and added a chopped jalepeno to the tomato mixture. Still needs a little more heat, but awesome tasting and quite filling."
"Delicious! I had some canned black beans in my pantry and decided to make this to pair with pork chops and yellow rice and what a wonderful flavor! Even my husband, who doesn't care for black beans, loved it."
"It tasted excellent and I didn't change a thing. Very good recipe and most delicious outcome."
"We LOVED this recipe! We needed supper in a hurry, so used two 16 oz cans of black beans instead of dried beans. (Drained and rinsed them, placed in pot, covered with water and added the bay leaf. Simmered this while chopping and sauteing vegies.) Also added 1 lb of ground beef. It was SOOO good over rice! (Don't expect Mexican - this is Cuban and it's wonderful!)"
"You have to try this delicious recipe!"