- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 9 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 9 teaspoons fat-free sour cream
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, broth, water, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish each serving with tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cuban Black Bean Soup
Sort By :
"We had a black bean soup at a business dinner years ago. My husband and I both loved it. I've been looking for a similar recipe for years. This is it! Thanks!"
"This was pretty good. Served it with fresh baked bread. Made a nice light dinner."
"This soup was excellent, quick easy and has a wonderful taste. It will become one of our staple recipes!!! Make it just as it is!!!"
"This has become one of my standards to take to lunch at work. See also Light & Tasty, Oct/Nov 2007 for this recipe."
"We had a DELICIOUS black bean soup at a busniess dinner several years ago. I loved it and have been looking for a similar recipe ever since. This is it! LOVE the flavor!"