Cuban Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 9 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 9 teaspoons fat-free sour cream
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the celery, onion, garlic and jalapeno in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, broth, water, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish each serving with tomatoes, sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Cuban Black Bean Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p51
Reviews for Cuban Black Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2011
"We had a black bean soup at a business dinner years ago. My husband and I both loved it. I've been looking for a similar recipe for years. This is it! Thanks!"