- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Add egg whites; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be stiff). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Sprinkle greased baking sheets with cornmeal. Place rolls 2 in. apart on baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Place a large shallow pan filled with boiling water on lowest rack in oven. Bake rolls on middle rack at 425° for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Crusty Rolls
"This was an easy bake but as I used olive oil for shortening and of course egg whites the mix was very wet and sticky hence the use of my stand mixer and not mixed by hand. The second rising needed nearly an hour but this was not a problem and definitely only 12 the next time and not 24! Open texture with a good crust (boiling water to create steam should not be forgotten) superb flavour and ideal for me; rock hard rolls are not to my taste but these were just right. Watch the bake time, if it needs longer then do so."
"I agree with SnnysAng103 -- this recipe should only be for a dozen. These rolls are no bigger than a silver dollar and while they taste FANTASTIC, they never browned or even turned golden. And....there was no crust. Really disappointed. I'll keep looking for a recipe for hard rolls."
"These were very easy to make and very delicious my son loved them I should have cooked them a bit longer to make them crispy but overall one of my favorite roll recipies !"
"Recipe is fantastic! Except it should really only yield 12 rolls. I made the 24 and theyre tiny. Way too small."
"I have been looking for a great recipe for homemade rolls for years. This is perfect! It will be the one I make from now on. Great taste , tender and easy to make."