Crusty Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 egg whites
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add shortening, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Add egg whites; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be stiff). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide into 24 pieces and shape into balls. Sprinkle greased baking sheets with cornmeal. Place rolls 2 in. apart on baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Place a large shallow pan filled with boiling water on lowest rack in oven. Bake rolls on middle rack at 425° for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Crusty Rolls(2)
Sort By :
I have been looking for a great recipe for homemade rolls for years. This is perfect! It will be the one I make from now on. Great taste , tender and easy to make.
Searching for a recipe for hard rolls for sandwiches, I came across this one which I tried to adapt by making larger rolls: 6 large ovals, then brushing with water and sprinkling with Kosher salt after the second rise. I achieved half my purpose, the tops were nice and crusty, but the bottoms were soft. The inside was soft and very tasty. I will definitely make them again, perhaps turning them during baking.