Crusty Roast Leg of Lamb
For Easter dinner, St. Patrick's Day or another spring occasion, this tender and flavorful lamb roast is a wonderful entree. Potatoes and apples cooked with the meat add to its home-style appeal.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large tart apple, sliced
- Place leg of lamb on a rack in a roasting pan. In a small bowl,
- combine the bread crumbs, butter and seasonings; spread over meat.
- Place onion in pan; pour broth over onion. Bake, uncovered, at
- 325° for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes; bake 30 minutes longer. Add apple; bake 30 minutes
- longer or until potatoes are tender and meat reaches desired
- doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°;
- medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Remove vegetables and apple and keep warm. Let roast stand for 10-15
- minutes before slicing. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 349 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium,