Crusty French Rolls
Save time by letting your bread machine knead the dough for these hearty, chewy rolls with a wonderful golden crust. "They're the best eaten the day they're baked or frozen for later," Donna adds.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In bread machine pan, place the first five ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5
- minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if
- needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured
- surface. Divide into 18 portions; shape each into a round ball.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 15
- minutes; brush again with glaze. Bake 10 minutes longer or until
- golden brown. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe can be prepared in a 1-1/2-or 2-pound bread machine.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One roll equals 101 calories,