- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 16-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf with tapered ends. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Crusty French Loaf
Sort By :
"Easy and yummy"
"Great recipe. I have used it several times always turns out perfectly."
"This was my first time making bread and it was easy! It turned out great and was delicious! I took the advice from the other reviewers and doubled the recipe and froze the 2nd loaf, also I didnt have any cornmeal on hand so I skipped that and it still turned out great :)"
"Wonderful bread. Seems silly to make just one loaf so I make a double recipe. Great with Meatballs, or anything you want a good slice of bread with. Only problem with making this is that there are no leftovers!"
"This is the recipe! Look no further. I have made two loafs today. So easy. Oh and the taste!My first one came out a little flat so the second one I made rounder. Love it! Thank you!!!"