Crunchy Veggie Sandwiches
"These sandwiches are a creative way to get kids to eat veggies. I've been making them for about 25 years," says Bridget Ward of Roeland Park, Kansas. "They're a great picnic food."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lettuce leaves
- 6 sandwich rolls, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise and salt until blended. Stir
- into vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Serve
- on lettuce-lined rolls. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 162 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 519 mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.