Crunchy Topped Chocolate Cake Recipe
This cake perfectly caps off this dinner without anyone guessing it's lighter than most desserts. Broiling the topping of oats, coconut and nuts creates a crispy texture that nicely complements the tender cake.—Michelle Bishop, Peru, Indiana
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a broiler-proof 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For topping, combine brown sugar and oats in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut and pecans; sprinkle over hot cake. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 15 servings.
One piece equals 245 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC