My grandmother often served this dessert with her special Sunday dinners, and my mother and I have also taken it to church suppers over the years. I love baking and I usually fall asleep reading cookbooks in bed.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread mix
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped topping, optional
- Prepare gingerbread according to package directions. Bake in a
- greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, butter, salt,
- cinnamon and nuts; mix well. Sprinkle over gingerbread; bake for an
- additional 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm. Garnish with
- dollop of whipped topping if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.