I first tried this delicious pie at a church potluck dinner and was immediately hooked. I've spent many years perfecting my own recipe.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 unbaked pie crust (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped topping or ice cream
- In a bowl, blend sugar and spices. Beat eggs; add milk and vanilla. Combine the sugar mixture. Stir in potatoes; beat until smooth. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Combine topping ingredients. Remove pie from the oven; sprinkle with topping. Bake 10-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Pie in Country October/November 1991, p47
Reviews for Crunchy Sweet Potato Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review