- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 7 medium), peeled and quartered
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup cornflakes, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-18 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash the sweet potatoes with the sugar, milk, butter, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crunchy Sweet Potato Bake
"I kept to the recipe except I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. I have never cared for "sweet potato bake" because the ones I have tried in the past have been too sweet, more of a dessert. I must admit, I should have kept to the recipe. It would have been the right amount of sweetness, but far from dessert."
"This has become a family favorite for the holidays. Since bringing this dish to our family dinner a few years ago, it has become a must have on our list of dishes to bring to the Holiday meal."
"very good - will double the topping part of the recipe next time i make it - thought it needed more crunch."
"Very good tasting combination - at the last minute I realized the kids ate the cornflakes so I ended up substituting golden grahams for the cornflakes - I would do this again, the honey flavor with pecans was delicious and the topping was nice and crunchy and good contrast to the potatoes."
"I made this recipe for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit even for those who do not eat sweet potatoes. I will make it instead of mashed potatoes for future meals."