Crunchy Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts Recipe
It just isn't Christmas at Lori Brouwer's house until these crunchy munchers are in the oven. "The wonderful aroma of ginger, cinnamon and nuts fills the kitchen with festivity when I bake this snack," she confirms from Cumberland, British Columbia.
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and water until frothy. Add nuts; stir gently to coat. Combine the remaining ingredients. Add to nut mixture and stir gently to coat.
- 2. Spread into two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 cups.
1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 187 calories, 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC