Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yogurt Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds salmon fillet
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1. Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 14-17 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cool slightly; remove skin, if necessary. Transfer salmon to a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until chilled.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir onion until tender. Stir in parsley.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, remaining pepper and the onion mixture; if desired, add pepper sauce. Flake salmon; add to bread crumb mixture, mixing lightly. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- 4. Place egg whites and remaining bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip salmon patties in egg whites, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients; serve with salmon cakes. Yield: 4 servings.
2 salmon cakes with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 422 calories, 25 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yogurt Sauce
"Can't rate this properly as I haven't made it yet - need to know: has anybody made this with canned salmon? Fresh salmon is horribly expensive here and will sub, but am not sure how much. Any suggestions? I really want to try this - sounds delicious."
"This was a great recipe for salmon cakes. It stayed together well, and that is usually the hard part for me when it comes to salmon or crab cakes. I will make these again, maybe add some more herbs to the mix."
"The salmon cakes and sauce are both amazing. I got tons of compliments when I cooked them for friends. Also, very easy to make."
"I made this recipe just like it said. Also made the sauce and both were excellent."
"My entire family loved these salmon cakes. I didn't make the sauce though instead served with tartar sauce."
"This turned out exactly as advertised. It's an easy, no-fuss recipe and really delicious."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.