Whether you start with fresh salmon or use leftover cooked salmon, you can serve these cakes with sauce as a main dish or as appetizers, or put them on a salad. — Cindy Fan, Alhambra, California
- 1-1/4 pounds salmon fillet
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon capers, drained and chopped
- Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 14-17 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cool slightly; remove skin, if necessary. Transfer salmon to a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until chilled.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir onion until tender. Stir in parsley.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, remaining pepper and the onion mixture; if desired, add pepper sauce. Flake salmon; add to bread crumb mixture, mixing lightly. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- Place egg whites and remaining bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip salmon patties in egg whites, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients; serve with salmon cakes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yogurt Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p70
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yogurt Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review