Crunchy Romaine Toss
As the soup simmers I throw together Crunchy Romaine Toss," she notes. Ramen noodles, broccoli and nuts get a unique treatment in this salad from a sweet-tart dressing. "Guests always ask for the recipe," she says.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles, broken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 small bunch romaine, torn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the sugar, oil, vinegar,
- soy sauce, salt and pepper; shake well. Discard seasoning packet
- from noodles or save for another use. In a skillet, saute noodles in
- butter until golden. In a large bowl, combine noodles, broccoli,
- romaine and onions. Just before serving, toss with dressing and
- walnuts. Yield: 6-8 servings.