Crunchy Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the ketchup, mustard and salt; mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with rice.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the cheese, soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over rice. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Divide Crunchy Rice Casserole between two 1-quart baking dishes. Sprinkle 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs of top of one casserole and bake as directed. Freeze the other dish for later, sprinkle with 1 cup buttered cornflake crumbs just before baking.
1 each: 329 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.