Crunchy Potato Balls
Cooking is not one of my favorite things to do, so I'm always looking for simple and tasty recipes to feed our growing family (three sons - 8,5 and 7 months). These potato balls make a good snack or appetizer (my two older boys love them with any meal!), and they're a good way to use up leftovers. In fact, I often find myself peeling a few extra potatoes just to make sure there will be leftovers.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups very stiff mashed potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups crushed cornflakes
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, ham, cheese, mayonnaise, egg,
- mustard and pepper. Add enough of the flour to make a stiff mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in cornflakes. Place on a greased baking
- sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot. Yield: about 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 103 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.