A bakery favorite inspired us to create this recipe. Individual pieces of white cake are coated with a crunchy peanut coating.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) salted peanuts, chopped, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a shallow bowl, mix 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Place one can of peanuts in another shallow bowl.
- Cut cake into 20 bars. Coat the top and sides of each piece with glaze, then roll in nuts. Place on wire racks over waxed paper; let dry completely.
- Make a second batch of glaze with the remaining confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Coat cake squares a second time, then roll in remaining nuts. Let dry completely. Yield: 20 bars.
Originally published as Peanut Cake Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p167
Reviews for Crunchy Peanut Cake Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review