Crunchy Lettuce Salad
There are several variations to this Asian-style salad. But this is the one most folks prefer. Toasted almonds, chow mein noodles and sesame seeds contribute to this salad's "crunch".Sue McLaughlin, Onawa, Iowa
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 4 green onions with tops, diced
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Combine almonds, chow mein noodles and sesame seeds in a baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly
- toasted; set aside.
- In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, sugar, vinegar, salt
- and pepper; shake well. In a large bowl, toss lettuce, onions and
- bacon. Just before serving, add almond mixture and dressing; toss.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 211 calories, 18 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.