Crunchy Ham and Cheese Recipe
Crushed potato chips put the crunch in this appetizing variation on ham and cheese. “Serve this layered sandwich with a bowl of soup, and you’ll have one of the best comfort-food meals of your life,” assures Karen Wolf of Niles, Illinois.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 2 slices deli ham (1 ounce each)
- 1/2 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup crushed ridged potato chips
- 1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread mustard over the unbuttered side of two slices; layer each with one slice of cheese, ham, tomato, remaining cheese and remaining bread, buttered side up.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder. Place potato chips in another bowl. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then coat with potato chips.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet or griddle coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich equals 476 calories, 26 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 1,404 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC