Crushed potato chips put the crunch in this appetizing variation on ham and cheese. “Serve this layered sandwich with a bowl of soup, and you’ll have one of the best comfort-food meals of your life,” assures Karen Wolf of Niles, Illinois.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 2 slices deli ham (1 ounce each)
- 1/2 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup crushed ridged potato chips
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread mustard over the unbuttered side of two slices; layer each with one slice of cheese, ham, tomato, remaining cheese and remaining bread, buttered side up.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder. Place potato chips in another bowl. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then coat with potato chips.
- In a large nonstick skillet or griddle coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Ham and Cheese in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p31
Reviews for Crunchy Ham and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2008
"Best Grilled Cheese I've ever had! Definitely worth trying. I'll be making this again, just gotta find the right soup for it."