Crushed potato chips put the crunch in this appetizing variation on ham and cheese. “Serve this layered sandwich with a bowl of soup, and you’ll have one of the best comfort-food meals of your life,” assures Karen Wolf of Niles, Illinois.
Recommended: Top 10 Casserole Recipes
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 2 slices deli ham (1 ounce each)
- 1/2 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup crushed ridged potato chips
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread mustard over the unbuttered side of two slices; layer each with one slice of cheese, ham, tomato, remaining cheese and remaining bread, buttered side up.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder. Place potato chips in another bowl. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then coat with potato chips.
- In a large nonstick skillet or griddle coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Ham and Cheese in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p31
Reviews for Crunchy Ham and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review