Crunchy Chocolate Eggs
"I've been making these candies since my children were young, and we never tire of the taste," writes Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario field editor Janis Plourde.
54 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + standing
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 3-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Candy sprinkles
- In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and peanut
- butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from the
- heat; stir in cereals and peanuts.
- When cool enough to handle, drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed
- paper-lined baking sheets. Form into egg shapes. Refrigerate until
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Dip eggs in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on
- waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand
- until set.
- Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.