My 96-year-old mother wanted me to share her favorite recipe with Reminisce readers. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts; drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Sliced almonds, optional
- In a skillet, saute celery in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add the next nine ingredients. Spoon into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Combine melted butter and cornflakes; sprinkle on top of casserole. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Crunchy Chicken Casserole in Reminisce July/August 1994, p53
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Crunchy Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review