Crunchy Cheese Toasts
Cayenne pepper lends a little zip to these crisp and cheesy treats from Camille Langford, Branson, Missouri. "They look and taste like they're a lot of trouble to make, but they're not. That's my favorite kind of recipe!" relates Camille.
54 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- Cut French bread into 54 slices, about 1/4 in. thick. Place on
- ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, thyme and cayenne until blended.
- Brush over bread slices. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 300° for 12-15 minutes or until bread is golden brown and
- cheese is bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 57 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.