Crunchy Caramel Snack Mix
"This recipe is a sure-fire hit with all ages," relates Lauren Biggs of Suwanee, Georgia. "The popcorn-and-nut combination is great for packaging in sandwich bags and selling at bake sales."
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 3 cups Crispix
- 2 cups Cheerios
- 1-1/4 cups pecan halves
- 1-1/4 cups dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a greased roasting pan, combine the popcorn, cereals and nuts. In
- a large saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a
- boil. Boil until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball
- stage), about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; immediately stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Drizzle over popcorn mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 250° for
- 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers.
- Yield: 3 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 395 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium,