Crunchy Caramel Corn
Kids at our New Year's Eve parties gobble up this sweet and crunchy popcorn.
—Shelly Gromer, Long Beach, California
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + cooling
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn and peanuts in a large microwave-safe bowl; set aside.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter,
- corn syrup and salt. Cover and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds;
- stir. Microwave 1-1/2 minutes longer.
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour over popcorn mixture.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, stirring several times.
- Spread on greased baking sheets to cool. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 237 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.