Crunchy Baked Apples
We live in South Carolina's Piedmont area, which is famous for huge apple orchards. This is one of my family's favorite apple recipes. I almost always make this to top off our traditional Sunday dinner.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 4 medium baking apples
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 short cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- In a blender or food processor, grind walnuts and sugar. Add cinnamon
- and set aside. Combine the brown sugar, raisins and 2 tablespoons of
- butter; set aside. Core apples and peel the top two-thirds of each.
- rub tops and sides with lemon; squeeze juice into centers. Brush
- apples with 2 tablespoons butter; press nut mixture evenly over
- peeled sides. Place in an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish. Fill
- apples with raisin mixture. Place a cinnamon stick in each apple;
- drizzle with remaining butter. Pour apple juice around apples. Bake,
- uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 480 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium,