Crunchy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 8 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cream, pumpkin, horseradish, nutmeg, salt and pepper. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, layer potato slices and onions. Spread with pumpkin mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Increase temperature to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese and sage. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 15 servings.
1 serving equals 167 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.