- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 8 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, pumpkin, horseradish, nutmeg, salt and pepper. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, layer potato slices and onions. Spread with pumpkin mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Increase temperature to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese and sage. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Crunchy Au Gratin Potatoes
"Would it be possible to scale this recipe down for six people?sure sounds good,Thanks Wattle
"This recipe was delicious, and a hit with my children from the first bite. I made it almost as directed, using cheddar cheese and 1 1/4 c dry bread crumbs. It seemed like It was a little light on the potato side and a little heavy on the topping side. Also, there seemed to be not quite enough sauce for the potatoes. When I make this again, I will probably use 3.5 lbs of potatoes, double the sauce, and cut back on the topping a bit."