Crunchy Apple Bread
Here on our farm where we raise shorthorn cattle, I enjoy baking for my husband of over 40 years, our children and grandkids. And at the holidays, I make plenty of loaves of apple bread to share with friends.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and orange juice;
- beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed
- mixture. Stir in apple, raisins and pecans. Pour into a greased
- 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until
- bread tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 255 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.