Crumble-Top Coffee Cake Recipe
Thinly sliced apples are baked right in the cake, providing delicious flavor and moisture. The golden crumb topping only adds to the dessert’s popularity. —Janice L Hose, Hagerstown, Maryland
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Spoon half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with apple slices; spread with remaining batter.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 485 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC