Crumb-Topped Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
- 6 small yellow summer squash (3 pounds), cut into chunks
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, pressing squash to remove excess liquid. In a bowl, mash squash. Stir in eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, sugar, onion, salt and pepper until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Toss remaining bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup equals 101 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.