Crumb-Topped Chocolate Cake Recipe
Sharon Anderson of Lyons, Illinois has a favorite cake, and it's a winner; in fact, it's very sweet and chocolaty, and is definitely a special dessert.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/3 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- 3. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts and remaining chocolate chips and butter. Break into small pieces; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread cream between layers and over sides of cake, leaving the crumb top exposed. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 371 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 371 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC