I'm the one who brings the vegetables to my relatives' holiday festivities. This one was handed down from my mother and is a family classic.—Lana Buelow, Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Featured In: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Dash ground ginger
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons crushed saltines (about 5 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place the carrots, water and salt in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Do not drain. Mash carrots. Stir in butter until melted. Add graham cracker crumbs and ginger. Lightly beat egg yolks; add to carrot mixture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into carrot mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Crumb-Topped Carrot Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p98
Reviews for Crumb-Topped Carrot Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review