Crumb-Topped Blueberry Muffins Recipe
For years I've searched for the perfect blueberry muffins without success. Then I came up with this winning recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the eggs, milk, orange peel and extracts; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries (batter will be stiff).
- 2. Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups two-thirds full. In a another large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoonful over each muffin. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 muffin equals 219 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC