Crumb-Topped Asparagus Casserole Recipe
We had plenty of fresh vegetables on the farm, so I also made this family favorite with broccoli or green beans instead of asparagus.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the soup, cream, mayonnaise, steak sauce, cloves and nutmeg. Spread over asparagus; sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. In another small bowl, toss stuffing with butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 383 calories, 30 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 803 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC