- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, cream, mayonnaise, steak sauce, cloves and nutmeg. Spread over asparagus; sprinkle with cheese.
- In another small bowl, toss stuffing with butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb-Topped Asparagus Casserole
Sort By :
sorry, but I would never use this recipe, way too much fat, and salt.
Not totally thrilled. Tasted more bland than expected.
Crumb topped asparagus casserole is one my family loves and makes whenever we have all the ingredients. I don't eat it, as asparagus does not like me, but my kids eat it every chance they get, as it does not harm them at all. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box.
I haven't made this but I think you could lighten this by adding celery and using 1 cup of sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt. Then you could do away with the soup, whipping cream and mayo.
I haven't made this yet but it sounds delicious. The only problem I see is the nutrition information. Does anyone have any great ideas for lightening it? Would you use half and half and milk or just take out the whipping cream all together and use only soup?
More Recipe Collections
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Baked Asparagus >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >