- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb Topped Apple Pie
Sort By :
"This is the most delicious apple pie I've ever made or tasted. I took the advise of another reviewer and reduced the sugar for filling to 1/2 cup, used Mac. apples & refrigerated pie crust. This is a keeper in my recipe box.Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us all."
"Really easy recipe and it is probably the best tasting pie I have had in a really long time! My family loved it!"
"Delicious and easier than the recipe I had been using. It never lasts more than 24 hours in our home! My husband and kids love it!"
"Very much enjoyed the crumb topping....easy, tasty and well received by everyone at table. Thanks!"
"This pie recipe is a keeper. Added some pecans to the topping. Used Granny Smith apples adding one extra....easier than the recipe I used to use."