Crumb Topped Apple Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb Topped Apple Pie(43)
Sort By :
Very much enjoyed the crumb topping....easy, tasty and well received by everyone at table. Thanks!
This pie recipe is a keeper. Added some pecans to the topping. Used Granny Smith apples adding one extra....easier than the recipe I used to use.
This is very similar to a recipe I always use for my apple pie, but I didn't have my recipe with me, so I went searching. I had rave reviews for this. I always use Granny Smith apples in my pies.
This is my favorite apple pie recipe I have come across and I make it every year for Thanksgiving since my husband is not a fan of the traditional pumpkin pie like I am. Great flavor and so easy to make. Love the homemade pie crust too! I will be putting together extra pies this year to take to our other Thanksgiving dinner we attend.
This is by far my favorite, and my go-to, apple pie recipe. Too delicious! I've made it a dozen times since I saw it two years ago in an issue. One of my favorite things to do is instead of using the listed apples, I will sometimes do all honeycrisp apples instead. Amazing! Other than that, this is one of the few recipes that I don't change to fit my liking. This one should be on everyone's fall pie list!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Crumb Pie >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Crust >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Crumb Topping Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Pie Baking >