- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb Topped Apple Pie
Sort By :
"Made this yesterday. Absolutely delicious. Wonderful to try a five star recipe that lives up to five stars. A great addition to my file."
"I love how easy this is to make and how delicious it comes out! Well, I guess I shouldn't say it's easy because I bought pie crusts.. :P But I have to eat gluten-free so I used gluten-free pie crust and gluten-free all-purpose flour. Works beautifully, tastes so good. I've made two in the past week or so and a third is in the oven right now for my boyfriend's mom and family. The first two I used Michigan macintosh apples, the third is with Michigan honeycrisp apples and it smells great baking. I also mixed about 2 tbsp of butter with the apple slices before putting them in the crust. Thanks for the awesome recipe! (I joined just so I could comment on this :)"
"I have made this pie for our annual Labor Day barbecue. It is always the first dessert to go so I make 2 pies."
"I've been making this apple pie for years now and it is the BEST!!"
"Delicious! My best girl friend, who is a dessert connoisseuse called this pie "blue ribbon." Used Granny Smith apples."